Sunday, September 27, 2026

Back to where it began.

 I have been ramping up my mileage lately, so two days ago I went out for a 12 mile run. This would be the longest run for me in quite a long time. I headed out my door, on to the paved trail in the nearby greenbelt, and headed to the park trails where trail running all began for me. Memories of running in O.P. with my good friend John began filling my mind. I ran on some of the trails we unofficially named, Cedar Loop, Lunar boobs, bamboo chute, and Tony’s trail. I didn’t make it to Joanie’s loop (named for Joanie Mitchell’s lyrics “they paved paradise and put up a parking lot”). It was 2004 when I was a regular at a local bike shop’s weekday group run where I met John Palmer, who on one night asked others at the run if they’d be interested in forming a trail running group. I was in immediately. Our initial group consisted of John and I along with three women. O. P. Schnabel park was our meeting place on Saturday mornings before daybreak. Over the years the group that became The Rockhoppers grew and transitioned to other larger parks for group runs. For John and I though, O.P. remained one of our favorite places. When I run familiar trails wherever it may be, memories of previous runs always fill my mind. They are all good too. Even the ones where I fell or bonked. John moved out of state recently but we still keep in touch. And I’ll always have O.P. for memories.

Cedar loop

Bamboo chute
Lunar boobs
The Rockhoppers are still going strong. Many trail runners have come and gone. Many bonds and  friendships flourished and continue. Some of the original core group remain after 20+ years!. The Rockhoppers are a testament to how the trail running community is one where life long friendships are formed and survive for years.


No comments:

Back to where it began.

 I have been ramping up my mileage lately, so two days ago I went out for a 12 mile run. This would be the longest run for me in quite a lon...