Sunday, December 21, 2008

I was Santa today!

Four weeks ago I was asked by a co-worker to be Santa for an Elf Louise project, Delivering toys to needy families. After saying yes I thought, "what did I get myself into?"
I had a wonderful time!
We were assigned 10 homes to deliver wrapped toys to. We were also given extra toys just in case. And My co-worker, Letty, took a bicycle to give to a child of our choice. Letty was so enthusiastic! I thought she had to be on some kind of happy pills.
Letty knew all the ropes, so I depended on her. At first I was a little apprehensive, but Letty helped loosen me up and soon I was Ho Ho Ho-ing and having a good time with the kids.
The pretty little girls wanting to hug me melted my heart.
One little boy had a smile that never faded. And he would giggle at every word I spoke.
The Mom's were very appreciative (a couple got real friendly with Santa, lol).
The most touching moment was when we were walking up to one of the homes, a curly haired boy about 6 years old stopped me on the sidewalk to say hello. I shook his hand and talked to him a Little bit. His home was not on our list.
We continued on and visited the next home. As we left, there was the 6 year old again with gifts he wanted to give to me! I was puzzled. His mom came out of the house and said he wanted to give me gifts to take to other children! I felt a lump in my throat and hugged him so hard as I cried and thanked him, telling him what a wonderful young man he was, and how his kindness will make someone very happy. I asked him to please never stop caring for others, and people like him make this a wonderful world.
Letty asked his mom if he needed gifts. She said no. He had gifts for Christmas. Letty then asked if he had a bike. He did not.
"we have to give him the bike" Letty whispered into my ear.
We did! He loved it!
Thank God good people are still coming into this world!
If you ever have a chance to volunteer for a project like this please do. The rewards could be fantastic!
Thanks Letty!

No comments:

Drenched

  Today's run was at my favorite Local natural area. It was very humid with no wind at all. I had a fairly good run not concentrating to...