Tuesday, October 13, 2009

MS Ride to the River

Thanks to all those supporting my MS "Ride to the River", benefiting
Multiple Sclerosis.
Your Support made it possible for those suffering from this debilitating disease to
try and live as normal a life as possible.
One sufferer of this disease who was at an aid station during a previous ride
thanked every rider whose attention she could get. She told me the funds raised
have helped her and those like her through more affordable treatment and
support. I will never forget the genuine expression of gratitude on her face.
This year’s ride started with a light drizzle as we started from the Alamodome, but one half hour into the ride the rain came down hard! My team and I were moving swiftly until I had a flat. My
friend Orlando helped me replace the inner tube. Orlando was a designated Ride
Marshall, so he was responsible to check on rider’s safety and any mechanical
failures they may experience. He did not have to help me though. But he did and
I felt obligated from then on to stay with him and any others that may need
help. We talked and helped some others with flats. The rain came and went, but nothing severe at all. This year’s route was very nice. We traveled over country roads taking us through St. Hedwig, Lavernia, and Seguin, on the way to New Braunfels. The roads were very quiet and rolled through pretty farmland.
At the Lunch stop, 50 miles into the ride, we caught up with some of our team
members and Orlando’s wife Elda. The three of us stayed together the next 25
miles. When we arrived in New Braunfels, the rain again came down in buckets.
We found safety under our team tent at the first day’s finish area. The
100-mile option was canceled due to high water along the route, which
straddled the Guadalupe River.
Sunday we awoke to a driving rainstorm, along with thunder and lighting. The ride
director decided to cancel the second day’s ride. Rider safety and emergency
personnel were taken into account in making this decision. We arranged for
transportation back to SA.
Again, Thank you very much for your help.

No comments:

Drenched

  Today's run was at my favorite Local natural area. It was very humid with no wind at all. I had a fairly good run not concentrating to...