Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Age

Lately in my posts I’ve been mentioning how I am getting older and how it is affecting my performances. I’ve been giving it much thought and have come to realize that maybe I have been taking shortcuts as I did in previous years. I relied on my strength and yes, my youth. The ability to bounce back from injuries, and strenuous exercise, without serious preparation is no longer there. I can’t do that anymore. That’s what it is; I can’t take shortcuts or get by without the proper training and preparation. I have always struggled with patience. I do not posses it. Performance does decline as we age. For some this happens more rapidly than it does for others. But we can continue to do well if we prepare properly. I am amazed at some of the “older folks” at Ultra Marathons. Yes, some folks are blessed with good genes, but they too must prepare and put in the time to train. We can continue to participate in this great sport of trail running, or any sport for that matter, as long as we prepare properly. Some may have to tone in down a bit, but we must continue to test and push the body so that we can keep it functioning well and thus giving us good health and a sense of well being.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is okay to slow down. Take it from me. As you know I am very slow. I came to terms a long time ago I will never be at a competive level anymore but will always compete. Just for the joy of competition.

May your runs always give you joy.

Domingo

Drenched

  Today's run was at my favorite Local natural area. It was very humid with no wind at all. I had a fairly good run not concentrating to...