Friday, April 20, 2012

Joe was in town!

Yesterdays group run at Ike (Eisenhower Park) was special. Joe Prusaitus drove down from Austin to join us. Joe is the director of Tejas Trails and President of the Texas Hill Country Trailrunners club based in Austin,TX. Tejas Trails puts on trail runs year 'round all over South Central Texas. Joe's a great guy. A veteran of numerous Marathons and Ultra Marathons run all over the country, Joe understands the minds of runners whether they are fast, slow, or in between. And to be a successful race director you have to be understanding (and very patient). Joe is and has been a successful race director for many years. We are very fortunate to have him here. We had a larger group than normal for this week's Thursday night run. I was there early and ran 2 miles before the group started together. Liza had her trainees run their scheduled workout as the rest of us did our thing. After the run we all headed to Freeetail brewery for some food and brew. I've only met some of Liza's new group members a couple of times but I'm now getting to know them better. I'm enjoying it. Meeting new like minded friends and running with a group really helps in training. I was asked questions and some shared their thoughts and future goals in regards to running ultras. The basic advice I give is, You don't want to make it too much work. Sure, you want to work hard towards your goal. But if you're having a tough time of it, don't be too hard on yourself. If you're feeling great in training,or in a race, go with it! Ride the wave. If you're not feeling good and you're suffering, keep going. These are the experiences you can draw from when you're having a difficult time in a race because there will be times in an ultra when you'll have some lows. This is when you just hang on. It gets better. Hanging out with everyone and watching the group as they shared thoughts, training, stories, and goals, made me think, "I've got to pick a race to run in the near future!" With no run scheduled, my training has been inconsistent. Oh well, in the meantime, I'm volunteering at a 10K tomorrow morning and at Joe's Pandoras box of Rox races in two weeks. That's fun and rewarding too.

No comments:

Drenched

  Today's run was at my favorite Local natural area. It was very humid with no wind at all. I had a fairly good run not concentrating to...