Friday, February 21, 2014

Friends

What trait is most important to you in a friend? That is the question that came up recently at a gathering with friends. I said this Dr. Seuss quote came to my mind, "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
I've said some pretty dumb things. Sometimes I'm just trying to be funny and other times it's knee jerk reactions. Many times it's just who I am. Those who may not agree with my thoughts but forgive me and stick around are friends worth keeping. I like to think that I also look beyond a friends comments or thoughts I may not agree with. If I feel they are truly genuine sincere caring human beings, they are and will always be my friends.
Speaking of friends. My friend Tony up in Colorado sent me an email a couple of months ago and suggested I run a half marathon near his home. He's registered. At 2800 feet of elevation gain, The half marathon is billed as the toughest race in the Rocky Mountain front range. For the past two years I have gone up to Colorado to run a 50 miler and a 50k. I fly in, crash at Tony's, run MY race and head back home. This time I am VISITING with Tony, running with him, and visiting some more before I return home. He's my friend. Best part of it is my niece Adrie, Tony's niece from the other side of her family, is coming with me. I leave all the traveling arrangements and hassles to her!
But up next is the Nueces 50 miler. I crammed all my serious training into the last two weeks. last week I ran 45 miles. this week I hope to get near 20. It's taper time. My old knees have been creaking but I think I'll be OK. At work today I walked up and down two flights of stairs about ten times. That's good training!
A question we did not get to address at our gathering, "If you live to be 100, would you rather have a sound mind or a fit body?"

No comments:

Drenched

  Today's run was at my favorite Local natural area. It was very humid with no wind at all. I had a fairly good run not concentrating to...