Sunday, February 9, 2014

Love

"Se tienen que conocer mijo." That is what my mother would say to me in regards to knowing and staying in contact with family. "you have to get to know each other son."
My mom is one of 13 siblings! They were a very close and loving family. Their parents, my grandparents, were very loving. That love was passed on down to all in the family. We have always been a family that shares genuine hugs and kisses. But with such a large family it can be difficult to know everyone and stay in touch. "You have to try." Mom would say.
I remember my cousin Angie visiting us when she was about six years old and I was twelve. She was cute and had a funny west Texas accent. My mom's little sister Hope (Angie's mom) and her family live in Denver City Texas, way out in the Texas panhandle. Needless to say, we did not see them too often.
Many years passed before I saw Angie again. It was as adults 32 years later at my mom's funeral. As we said goodbye after the funeral, I said to Angie, "we need to stay in touch and get together." Another cousin said, "Yeah, that's what we all say, but it never happens." I vowed to make sure it would happen. It has. I call Angie now and then. Angie drives through San Antonio on her way to visit her Mom and every time she is in the area we get together.
This past weekend I visited with Angie at her home north of Houston,  I was in the east Texas area to help at the Rocky Raccoon 50 mile trail run at Huntsville State park.
As much as I love running trail races, I also love supporting friends and fellow trail runners reach their trail running goals.  I also enjoy hanging out with trail runner friends who enjoy the same. Sharing hugs, kisses, and love. They're  family too.







No comments:

Drenched

  Today's run was at my favorite Local natural area. It was very humid with no wind at all. I had a fairly good run not concentrating to...