Saturday, June 7, 2014

Every Trail run is an adventure!

Ran with some friends today at our local State Natural Area, Government Canyon. It was so much fun. I truly enjoy fun runs with friends more than any race. We saw this crazy looking mushroom too.

 Robert said if I ate it I might feel good, or I might die.
One of the great benefits of trail running is seeing things one might not otherwise see. I shared some of these sightings with a Professor of a local University recently. He is working on a documentary of trail runners to promote interest on a stage race in the Amazon. My good friend Chris and I were interviewed together. I liked that because with Chris there I was more at ease.
Now, I am not the most accomplished trail runner by any means. As a matter of fact, I am not as accomplished as most of my trail runner friends. I think I was recommended because somehow folks in our group think I played a major part in starting the Rockhoppers, our trail running group. I was a small player in planting the seed. Those who came, have stayed to encourage others to join and offer support to them are the reason we exist. That is pretty much the recipe for any successful group.
The interview for the documentary went well I think. Not sure when it will be complete but I will surely share it here.
I was not able to share all that I have seen on the trails. I seem to have a problem categorizing, filtering, and arranging all the thoughts in my mind in an orderly fashion. I shared a few like, the time I came upon a pack of coyotes drinking at a pond, An owl looking at me while flying away from me on a wooded narrow trail (I thought he might bump into a tree!), My first view of a mountain meadow. But I did not tell about the bat that flew right between Lalo and I as we ran shoulder to shoulder at night in the Angeles Crest mountains, the juvenile fox that was following me on a night run, the White tail buck who seemed to want to challenge me for trail access, the beautiful golden Eagle perched on a fence post, The roadrunner who, upon seeing me, turned to run off only to be spinning his legs unable to gain traction (just like in the roadrunner cartoons!),and the Bobcat cubs playing on the trail. I probably will remember more great moments after I end this post.
Get out and run trails people because every trail run is an adventure. Like Forrest Gump's mom said, "You never know what you're gonna get."

No comments:

Drenched

  Today's run was at my favorite Local natural area. It was very humid with no wind at all. I had a fairly good run not concentrating to...