Sunday, February 22, 2009

Time for some cross training!

After a week of not running and massaging my right calf, Achilles, and the sole of my right foot to relieve pain from PF, I tried to go out for a run today. Chris, Liza, Brian, Mike, Abbey and I met at Govt Canyon to run about 10 - 12 miles in the flat trails of the front country. The weather was perfect, sunny,dry and about 60 degrees. Chris led a pretty quick pace. Sub 9 minute miles. Soon Abbey and Mike picked it up and pulled away. Chris and Liza were not far behind them and Brian and I were bringing up the rear.
My foot was feeling OK up until about 4 miles into the run. I started to feel a little discomfort in my right heel at 4 1/2miles. It was getting worse. Liza held up for Brian and I at the 5 mile mark, and I said "I'M DONE!" The pain was back in full force. I'd better stop before I make it worse. I said goodbye as Chris, Mike and Abbey were far up the trail. Brian said I was wise to stop. Chris yelled back goodbye and "get a haircut!" I responded "I'll think about it." As I limped back to the car I tried not to let it get me down. I can work out on the bike I thought.
I motivate myself to train seriously by signing up for a race. Well, last Thursday I registered for the Jemez Mountain 50 Miler. With 4 significant climbs to over 10,000 feet, I told myself I had better get going.
Now I must say to myself, "Take time off from running to let your Plantar Fascitis heal." This is a switch, and will test my patience.
It's on the bike and workouts with Kettle bells for at least the next two weeks.

No comments:

Drenched

  Today's run was at my favorite Local natural area. It was very humid with no wind at all. I had a fairly good run not concentrating to...