Saturday, April 3, 2010

Where's the fire?

WHERE'S THE FIRE PEOPLE?!!
That's the question Frankie B. Ball, our band director, would scream at us in Junior High band class when we'd take off and speed up the tempo on a musical piece. I heard Mr. Ball's voice as I went out for a bike ride Friday evening. Yes, I told myself that I needed to take it easy due to my injury. And I did! for about the first two miles. Leon Creek was full of wild flowers and it was pretty as I cruised along. Then I start an ascend. Down shift, increase my spinning RPM, ATTACK THE HILL! OK, I make it up the hill and cruise down the other side. Then, I see a rider up ahead moving pretty good. I start gaining on him, another hill up ahead, he starts to attack the hill, I am still gaining ground, I don't know this guy but he is ahead of me and I smell blood! I overtake him and....., so what Tony! It's only supposed to be a casual ride! At the turn around I again remind myself to take it easy. But of course I attack the hills. Short and small as they are. I CAN'T HELP IT! But I will try. I've got to get better. And as I've said before, I can't do what I did as a younger person. I tell people I feel like I am 16 years old. And I do, in my MIND! But I am not, and have to realize it when I try to push the envelope. We have to control how hard we push. Especially when we are hurt.

No comments:

Drenched

  Today's run was at my favorite Local natural area. It was very humid with no wind at all. I had a fairly good run not concentrating to...