Sunday, January 16, 2011

Diet? Which one? When?

So what is the optimal diet for an athlete? And which athlete? A runner, Cyclist, mountain climber, etc? You? Me? The Olympians, the age groupers, the elite? There are countless books on nutrition, and training, for all of sports disciplines. I have bought and read many books on nutrition, and training. I've tried the Paleo diet, vegetarian, and vegan. In my opinion, there are some that clear thinking people should stay away from. Like the Atkins diet. I feel you just can't continue on such of a restrictive diet for a lifetime. And that's what we're looking for, Isn't it? A way of eating that will provide not only fuel for our athletic endeavors, but also will help us reproduce new and strong cells. I want to give my mitochondria a little of everything to make strong cells for me!
Some of these books on nutrition are written by athletes and nutritionist with good intentions and, let's face it, some that just want to make a buck. Nothing wrong with that, but "will it work for me?" I have gathered "vast knowledge" on what fuels our bodies by reading and trying various diets. And now will incorporate some of everyone of them in my daily diet. What I have learned is we all need to eat more fresh, raw, vegetables than any other food. Fruits and nuts are good, and I still believe red meat should be eaten rarely. Poultry and fish not too often either.
Throughout the ages, humans have eaten what is available. Hence there are many "Delicacies" that some people today frown on and would never touch or would pay an enormous amount of money for; Escargot, caviar, Bird nest soup, and the less expensive Menudo, Chitlins, squirrel (and this is just a sample of recent delicacies). The list goes on. The point is, we have survived for thousands of years on foods that were available to us. Now the world is flat and we have foods from all over the planet at our finger tips. I'll continue to take a "little of this and a little of that" Maybe a little more of "that" sometimes. And you know what? Next year, or next decade, my diet may change. Something else may work in the future, We should always be experimenting.

No comments:

Drenched

  Today's run was at my favorite Local natural area. It was very humid with no wind at all. I had a fairly good run not concentrating to...