Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Couldn't hang!


“What’s the matter? Can’t hang?”
Those were the words to me from one of three young ladies walking down the hill at Friedrich Park yesterday. 
“That’s right” I said. “Not today”
We all laughed.
 My friends Tom, Travis, and Lalo were running up the hill on their second hill repeat while I waited at the base.
I had arrived earlier and after a one mile warm up I ran up the hill only to feel very weak half way up. I kept wondering why I was feeling so lethargic. Last week I crushed this hill, running all the way up five times. I began to try and recall what I ate that Monday of last week. Was I not fueled properly today? I did not attempt another hill climb and just Ran a loop around the park and back to the hill anticipating my friends arrival.
Was it the 18 mile road run last Saturday? No, I rested yesterday. Or did I? The pain in my glutes and my legs feeling like cement reminded me. Sunday morning I worked out with weights concentrating on Squats, lunges, and dead lifts. That did it! I don’t do that often enough and when I do I go all out.
Speaking of fueling, I found this cool blog, or should I say it found me. Another runner at the North Fork 50 I ran last month contacted me requesting pictures. Turns out she’s a nutritionist. When I’m not reading about running, I’m reading about nutrition ( Some say too much).
Deb McInally is very interesting and shares very beneficial   information.
I like Deb’s quote in her profile, FOOD is FUEL. If you put crummy food into your body, you are going to get crummy results!


Todays workout;
4 mile power hike with short sprints after 4 sets of 10 Box jumps (actually on a rock) and three sets of 12 pushups thrown in.
Fueled by: a breakfast of steamed cremini mushrooms and tatuma squash with two eggs over easy cooked in coconut oil with onions and garlic.seasoned with turmeric.
For lunch, a raw salad of Iceberg lettuce, cabbage, tomatoes, red onions, garlic, ginger, yellow and red bell pepper, pumpkin seeds, hemp seeds, almond chips, olives, celery, sharp cheddar cheese, topped with local extra virgin olive oil.
Post workout dinner, Tuna fish with celery, half an avocado,   two natural Bison franks .
And a couple of beers. Hey I'm not perfect!



No comments:

Drenched

  Today's run was at my favorite Local natural area. It was very humid with no wind at all. I had a fairly good run not concentrating to...